The McConnell AFB Outdoor Pool Complex consists of an Olympic-sized swimming pool featuring lap lanes, a recreational swimming area, water slides and a climbing wall. A separate kiddie pool area is located next to the main swimming pool. Changing rooms, bathrooms and vending machines are located within the pool complex for your convenience. The McConnell AFB Outdoor Pool is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day, temperature and weather-dependent.
Located on the corner of Parsons and Lawrence street (In front of the Dole Center and across from the Child Development Center)
2018 Outdoor Pool Hours
**Hours are subject to change dependent on weather and staffing**
Hours coming soon…
Eligibility and Age Requirements for Pool Use
In accordance with AFI 34-101, Air Force Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) Programs and Use Eligibility, the McConnell AFB Outdoor Pool is open to all active-duty personnel, retired military, DoD and NAF employees, Guard, Reserve, and their families.
AFI-34-101 also outlines the following age restrictions:
- Children 10 years of age or younger must be under the direct supervision of an individual who is at least 18 years old. One individual may not supervise more than 10 children.
- Children 11 – 13 years of age may be left unattended only if they can demonstrate the ability to swim 12 meters (roughly 40 feet), tread water for one minute and pull themselves from the water without using the pool ladder. Children passing the basic water skills test will be given a swim card, identifying them so they will not have to take the test again for the rest of the season.
- Individuals who are at least 16 years of age may provide supervision for up to three children (at least one of whom is over the age of 6) provided that the individual has completed the American Red Cross Babysitter’s Training Course. A copy of the certificate must be on file at the pool. In such cases a written authorization from the parent(s) of the child(ren) is required in order to seek medical care for them if necessary, and emergency contact phone numbers for the parents or legal guardians must also be on file at the pool.
- At least one adult must be present to provide supervision for every 10 children at private pool parties.
- Aquatic or pool activities organized by the Youth and Child Development Centers must comply with their respective staff to child ratios. Youth Activities and Child Development Centers are responsible for providing the required number of staff.
Pool Rules and Policies
- The maximum capacity of the outdoor main pool and deck area is 600 people. The maximum capacity of the outdoor kiddy pool and deck area is 70 people.
- It is imperative adults and children conduct themselves in a manner that ensures the safety for themselves and others. Disregarding pool policies may result in the loss of pool privileges.
- Under no circumstances will cursing or abusive language be allowed. Rough play or horseplay in the pool or adjacent areas will not be tolerated.
- Alcoholic beverages and glass containers are prohibited at the pool during open recreational swimming. Anyone appearing to be under the influence of alcohol will be asked to leave the pool area.
- Inappropriate hugging and other forms of touching and affection will not be allowed.
- Every patron must take a shower before entering the pool.
- Persons with obvious evidence of illness or communicable disease or with open sores or lesions (including fungus/skin disease) will not be allowed in the pool.
- Swimming is only allowed when a lifeguard is on duty, no exceptions.
- Food or drinks are not allowed on the pool deck area with the exception of plastic water bottles. Food and drinks are only allowed in the designated areas.
- Only water shoes or flip flops are permitted on the pool deck. No street shoes will be worn in the pool/deck area.
- Smoking is prohibited. Smoking is only allowed in designated areas outside the pool fence.
- Children must be potty trained to use the main pool. Children not potty trained must wear swim diapers and will only be allowed in the kiddie pool.
- Pets are not permitted in the pool enclosure or its surrounding areas.
- Diving is not permitted. Jumping into the pool will be feet first from designated areas only.
- Only one person at a time will be permitted to go down any slide.
- Patrons are responsible for all personal items left at the swimming pool. At no time will the lifeguard stands or office be used for storing personal items or valuables for patrons or employees. Lockers in the bathrooms can be used to secure personal belongings. Lockers are for daily use and must be cleared out at the end of the day.
- A 10-minute rest period is strictly enforced for all outdoor pool patrons under 16 years of age. Rest periods are held 10 minutes prior to every hour.
- T-shirts are not allowed to be worn in the deep water or when using the slides.
- Lifeguards/Lead Lifeguards have the authority to correct activity within the swimming pool complex that may be dangerous to themself, other participants or staff personnel. Their authority must be respected to ensure the safety of all patrons.
- For safety purposes, jewelry will not be allowed for swimmers and staff members.
- Only properly sized and fitted United States Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices (life jackets) will be allowed in the pool. Water wings or inflatable rings are specific examples of flotation aids that are prohibited during open swimming.
- Floating toys are allowed in the pool during private pool parties and special activities only.
- There are no height restrictions for the water slides. Patrons must be under 250 lbs. to ride the water slides. Children must pass a swim test in order to ride water slides. Children who have not passed the swim test may go down the kiddie slide provided that they are wearing a Coast Guard-approved personal floatation device. A limited number of children’s personal floatation devices are available at the Outdoor Pool for your convenience.
Inclement Weather Closures
- The 22 ARW Command Post will contact the McConnell AFB Outdoor Pool when lightning is seen in the local area or inside a 10 mile. The lead lifeguard will immediately clear the pool when lightning is within a 10 mile radius and close the pool when lightning is within a 5 mile radius.
Private Pool Parties/Special Events
- Private Pool parties will be available after normal operating hours only.
- Reservations must be made through Outdoor Recreation (ODR). An agreement will be filled out by the requesting party and ODR. All fees will be due upon reservation.
- ODR will schedule the lifeguards required at an hourly fee per lifeguard for a minimum of two hours.
- The Wing Commander, or designee, must approve in writing the presence of alcoholic beverages at a private pool party. The party’s sponsors must submit a letter of request outlining their rules for consuming alcoholic beverages at the party. This will include who is in charge of the alcohol, who will be the point of contact for any alcohol related problems and who will be designated drivers. Alcohol can only be served by the McConnell Club. Alcohol will be permited if authorized by the appropriate approval authority and documentation is provided.
- Sponsors of pool parties are responsible for the behavior of their group.
- A copy of the signed approved letter must be presented to ODR or the lead lifeguard at least two days prior to the scheduled event.