Kansas Requirements

Home  >>  FAMILY  >>  School Liaison Office (SLO)  >>  Kansas Requirements

Kindergarten Age • State law requires that a child be 5 years old on or before August 31 to enter Kindergarten (and 6 years old on or before August 31 to enter first grade).  Kindergarten is not mandatory in the state of Kansas.  However, most parents do choose to send age eligible children to kindergarten.  If your child was enrolled in kindergarten in another state and then moved to Kansas, he or she is still eligible to attend kindergarten.

Enrollment • Each school district requires different forms for enrolling your child.  Many are available on the district websites.  You can also contact the school directly for enrollment paperwork and questions about documentation.  You should be prepared to provide the following:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Proof of Address
  • Kansas Health Assessment
  • Immunization Records
  • Copy of School Records – If your child has been enrolled in school previously, you should request an unofficial copy of their records to hand carry to the new school (Some schools may be willing to provide the official records, but a copy will work if they can’t.).  This will assist the receiving school with placement until they receive the official copies.  The receiving school will request the official records from the sending school.

Immunizations • You can view a full list of immunization requirements for all grades HERE.

Please be sure to have your child’s immunization records with you when enrolling them in their new district.  Per the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children, military students have 30 days from the date of enrollment to obtain the required immunizations.  If you have questions, please contact the School Liaison Officer at 316-759-6020.

School Entry Physicals • All new early childhood program and kindergarten students must have a school entry physical completed by a Kansas physician within the 12 months prior to the first day of school.  Students under the age of 9 attending a Kansas school for the first time are also required to have a physical.  Documentation must be provided to the school before attending the first day.

Special Needs or Gifted/Advanced Placement • Kansas requires an Individual Education Plan (IEP) for all students requesting placement in both special needs and advanced classes.

When enrolling your child, you should have a copy of their current IEP (if they have one) and their current course schedule.  Per the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children, the receiving school shall initially honor placement of the student in classes and services comparable to those at the sending school.  However, the school may choose to perform subsequent evaluations to ensure appropriate placement of the student.

Graduation Requirements • Course requirements for high school graduation vary slightly by district.  Please contact the School Liaison Officer or visit the district website for specific requirements.