- This event has passed.
Summer Reading Program: Read for the Win!
July 11, 2016
An event every week that begins at 12:00 AM on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, repeating until July 22, 2016
2016 Summer Reading Program: Read for the Win!
Registration opens on 23 May and runs until 20 July. To register, visit the McConnell Library, located in the Education Wing of the Dole Community Center. Program is opened for all ages, infants to adults. Each series of programs will follow the sports theme of Read for the Win!
Times of events will vary, please check below for specific times and dates of events.
McConnell Library Summer Reading Program is sponsored by DOD MWR Summer Reading Program, Levand Trust, USAA and Southwestern College. 2016 DOD Theme: “Read for the Win” 2016 Collaborated Summer Library Program Theme (National): “On Your Mark, Get Set, Read!” for children up to grades 6; “Get in the Game Read” teen program for grades 6-12; “Exercise Your Mind Read” for adults.
Reading time log begins 1 June; Last day to enroll: 20 July. Last day to log reading hours: Wednesday, 20 July.
Family Events: Each performer will be presenting an interactive 45-60 minute show from 10am-11am, **unless otherwise noted.
- June 9th Laughing Matters (Ball Room)
- **June 9th Shakespeare in the Park(KRA), “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” performed by the Wichita Shakespeare Company 7pm-9pm
- June 16th WildHeart (Ball Room)
- June 23rd Vaudeville Clown (Fitness Center Old Gym)
- June 30th Military Day (Pool Pavilion)
- July 7th Outdoor Summer Olympics (Pool Pavilion)
- July 14th Stone Lion Puppets (Base Theater)
- July 20th Matt Sandbank (Base Theater)
- July 21st Percussion Magic (Pool Pavilion)
- **July 21st Finale at Pool Pavilion 11am-1pm
- July 23rd Library Trip to Rock Springs 4H Camp in Junction City
Below are the Websites for some of the performers:
Dino O’Dell: http://dinoodell.com/
Stone Lion Puppets: http://stonelionpuppets.org/little-red-hens-garden.html (The Little red Hen’s Garden)
Matt Sandbank: http://www.sandbankshadowfactory.com/the-legend-of-walter-weirdbeard.html (The Legend of Walter Weirdbeard)
Percussion Magic: http://www.percussionmagic.com/
Teen Events – Get in the Game Read: The following programs are for young adults in grades 6-12, every Wednesday afternoon from 2pm-3:30pm at the Youth Center, during the Summer Reading Program. There will be individual programs each week.
- June 8th Paracord Bracelets
- June 15th Nebula Jars
- June 22 Cupcake Bar
- July 13th Mad Science Rube Goldberg Class
- July 20th Life Size Clue
School Age Events – On Your Mark, Get Set, Read!: The following program is for children in grades 1-6. Every Monday afternoon from 1pm-2:30pm, there will be individual performers each week (June 6, 13, 20 & 27, July 11 & 18) during the Summer Reading Program. Events will take place either in the SAC (School Age Care) building or YC (Youth Center) building. Call the Library for details at 759-4207.
Preschool Events – On Your Mark, Get Set, Read!: The following programs are for children ages 3-6 years old, every Tuesday Morning from 10am-11am. There will be individual performers each week during the Summer Reading Program. Call the Library for details at 759-4207.
- June 7th: Exploration Place STEMtacular Sports; preschool aged stations learning all about the science of sports. http://exploration.org/
- June 14th: Traveling Story Time, The group will travel from page to page in a story book. Each “page” with have a separate activity. (Around the Dole CC)
- June 21st: Music Together of Wichita with Ms. Marcee; music and movement for preschoolers and their families. www.musictogether.com
- June 28th: Wichita Botanica Gardens; “Gotta Go Monarchs” Ms. Kate will talk about transformations and butterflies. This will be held in the Library’s Reading Garden. http://www.botanica.org/
- July 12th: The Great Plains Nature Center; Ms. Deb will come out and talk about transformations in nature. http://www.gpnc.org/
- July 19th: Exploration Place Toppling towers with Sports; Back to back program one at 1000-1030 and one 1030-11. Sign up for one or the other. http://exploration.org/
Pageturner’s Book Club for Adults – Exercise Your Mind Read: An opportunity for base professionals, retirees and other interested adults to enjoy a shared book and discussions. Each month we will read the novel and watch the movie made from it. We will compare and contrast books and movies, while enjoying foods prepared from the members of the group. Please register at the McConnell Library when you check out your book. Pageturners meet from 6:30pm-9:30pm in the Library Reading Room on the following dates:
- 10 June 2016, reading discussion of Friday Night Lights by HG Bissinger
- 15 July 2016,reading discussion of A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar
Trip for Adults: June 17 – Trip to Prairie Rose Chuck Wagon 7pm-8pm