- This event has passed.
Summer Reading Kickoff/ Ice Cream Social
May 25, 2017 @ 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM
The McConnell AFB Library is celebrating our two themes for the 2017 Summer Reading Program: “Reading By Design” and “Build a Better World!” Throughout the summer, we will host a variety of programs for our patrons to enjoy. Our Family Programs are open to all ages. All events are free, and registration is not required.
The McConnell Summer Reading Program is heating up, so what better way to cool down than with a sweet treat? On Thursday, 25 May from 6 – 7 p.m., meet us at the Library for the Summer Reading Program Kickoff and Ice Cream Social! We’ll have free activities and ice cream for participants, and you can use this opportunity to sign up for the 2017 Summer Reading Program!
Earn prizes and help the Base Library work toward their goal of 1.3 million minutes read by registering for the Summer Reading Program! Pick up your registration form from the Library, then log your minutes at https://mcconnellafblibrary.beanstack.org. The 2017 Summer Reading Program is open to pre-readers through adults. For more information, call the Library at (316) 759-4207.
The 2017 Summer Reading Program is sponsored by Holy Cross School and Freddy’s Frozen Custard and Steakburgers. Additional support provided by the Levand Trust and the South Central Kansas Library System.
2017 Summer Reading Program Family Events
- 8 June: Jay & Leslie’s Laughing Matters- “Plan to Build”
- 15 June: Mr. Kneel’s “Hip Hop for Families”
- 16 June: Lunchtime Concert with the 35th Army Infantry National Guard Rock Band
- 22 June: Chris Conner’s “Twisted Balloons”
- 29 June: Didgeridoo Down Under
- 6 July: Dennis Porter’s “Blue Print Theater”
- 11 July: Christmas in July featuring Santa Claus!
- 13 July: Eric Vaughn’s “Comedy Magic Fun!”
- 15 July: A Night at the Ballpark
- 20 July: Splash Down Music Party
- 20 July: Summer Reading Finale Party
2017 Summer Reading Program Pre-Reader Events
- 13 June: Wichita Police Deparment
- 20 June: Sedgwick County Zoo
- 27 June: Painting with Feet
- 11 July: Mad Science
- 18 July: The Cosmosphere
2017 Summer Reading Program School Age Events
- 5 June: Jay & Leslie: Juggling the Earth’s Resources
- 12 June: Wichita Police Department
- 19 June: Sedgwick County Zoo
- 26 June: Exploration Place: Word Play
- 10 July: Mad Science
- 17 July: The Cosmosphere
2017 Summer Reading Program Teenage Events
- 7 June: Exploration Place- “Rocketry”
- 14 June: Edible Architecture
- 21 June: Sedgwick County Zoo
- 28 June: Paint Chip Skylines
- 12 July: Make blankets for the Wichita Children’s Home
- 19 July: The Cosmosphere
- 28 July: National Teen Library Lock-In (6 p.m. – 12 a.m. in the Library)
2017 Summer Reading Program Adult Events
- 9 June: Chocolate Tasting with Cero’s Chocolates
- 23 June: Negative Art
- 7 July: Fairy Lanterns