- This event has passed.
April 20, 2019 @ 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Join us for a family fun-filled day at our first Pinewood Derby! The Pinewood Derby is a racing event for unpowered, unmanned miniature cars. We will be giving out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize trophies to top 3 in each heat category. For only $5 you can purchase your own car, decorate it how you’d like (within regulations) and join us in the Dole Center Ballroom on April 20 to race your creation!
Races will be held in the following age categories:
Ages 13 and up
Check-in starts at 10AM, races start at 12PM. Please register by 19 April to claim your spot in the race! For more information contact the McConnell Community Center at (316) 759-4267.
Pinewood Derby Rules
1. Cars raced in previous years are not eligible. All participating cars must be built specifically for this race.
2. Clubbers must use given wheels, axles and wood blocks or cars. Additional features (windshields, weights, decals, etc.) can be added.
3. The maximum allowable weight is 5.00 ounces
4. The maximum length is 7 inches. The maximum width is 2 ¾ inches. The maximum height is 3 inches.
5. The chassis should not be lower than 3/8 of an inch from the ground.
6. The car must be freewheeling with no starting devices. ****
7. All entrants must have participated in the design and/or building of their car. The car should not be totally designed and built by an adult.
8. As much as possible, the builder of a car should be the only person that touches it or picks it up. Allow clubber to place their own cars on the track prior to a race and to remove them after a race. If the starter notices a car is not properly aligned prior to a race, he or she should call the clubber back to adjust it.
9. If a car jumps the track during the race, begin the race over. If a car jumps the track three times, it is eliminated. Begin the race again with the remaining cars.