- This event has passed.
July 13 @ 11:00 AM
Join us for a family fun-filled day at the Community Center’s Pinewood Derby! The Pinewood Derby is a racing event for unpowered, unmanned miniature cars. We will be giving out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize trophies to top 3 in each heat category. For only $5 you can purchase your own car, decorate it how you’d like (within regulations) and join us in the Dole Center Ballroom on 13 July to race your creation!
Races will be held in the following age categories:
Ages 13 and up
Single Airman Category & Deployed Affected- Recieve derby car for free!
Check-in starts at 11AM, races start at 12PM. For more information contact the McConnell Community Center at (316) 759-4267.
Build your derby car at the McConnell Arts & Crafts Center! On 29 June participants will be able to utilize the wood shop and classroom to cut out and paint/decorate their derby cars for FREE!
Pinewood Derby Rules
1. Cars raced in previous years are not eligible. All participating cars must be built specifically for this race.
2. Clubbers must use given wheels, axles and wood blocks or cars. Additional features (windshields, weights, decals, etc.) can be added.
3. The maximum allowable weight is 5.00 ounces
4. The maximum length is 7 inches. The maximum width is 2 ¾ inches. The maximum height is 3 inches.
5. The chassis should not be lower than 3/8 of an inch from the ground.
6. The car must be freewheeling with no starting devices. ****
7. All entrants must have participated in the design and/or building of their car. The car should not be totally designed and built by an adult.
8. As much as possible, the builder of a car should be the only person that touches it or picks it up. Allow clubber to place their own cars on the track prior to a race and to remove them after a race. If the starter notices a car is not properly aligned prior to a race, he or she should call the clubber back to adjust it.
9. If a car jumps the track during the race, begin the race over. If a car jumps the track three times, it is eliminated. Begin the race again with the remaining cars.